Architectural BIM Modeling for a Decade Old Real Estate Architectural Firm
The Client - A Respected Real Estate Architectural Firm
Our client is a successful architectural firm specializing in public sector construction and maintenance projects. With over a decade of experience and having completed hundreds of large-scale projects across the Middle East, Asia, and Europe, the client has a reputation for quality construction in the AEC industry.
The client required a third-party audit of their AutoCAD construction drawings as well as MEP detailing of the models to LOD 400. The turnaround time for the project was very tight, so, the client was looking for an experienced engineering service provider to handle the project without compromising on the quality of the deliverable.
Requirements for the BIM Modeling Project
The client required a BIM model to be created for the MEP layouts of a metro station. This BIM modeling project also required an extensive MEP detailing with through class detection and design change suggestions. IndiaCADworks (ICW) was approached by the client with the architectural 2D drawings and the MEP layouts for the entire metro station construction plan.
As input files, the ICW team received the AutoCAD 2D drawings of the MEP systems which the client wanted to convert into a 3D BIM model using Autodesk Revit. The output file required was a REVIT file with LOD 400 detailing.
Challenges Faced By IndiaCADworks Team
The main challenge faced by the team was the large number of revisions asked by the client. Despite the heavy pressure, these revisions were completed within the defined delivery timeline.
Detailed Process Followed by IndiaCADworks
After the initial rounds of discussions with the client, the ICW team prepared a step-wise action plan for the project to stick to the timeline:
- The engineering team received the AutoCAD input files in the form of PDF documents through secure FTP.
- Based on the complexity of the files received and the expected number of 3D models per week, the team leader worked out the expected timeline and assigned the tasks to the team member.
- Our modeling experts created the 3D BIM model of the MEP systems with LOD 400 detailing.
- The output was shared with the consortium, leaving room for comments and improvements.
- Once the inputs were addressed, a thorough quality check was performed by the team leader.
- The final Revit file was sent to the client for approval through FTP.
IndiaCADworks Delivered the Project Well Within the Short Timeline
The proactive efforts from the IndiaCADworks team which included a detailed plan of action and immediate address of revisions, the client was extremely pleased with our services. Despite a rocky start with a short timeline, we were able to tackle the project with our usual zeal. As a project takeaway when such deadline crunch projects do help our operations team to align and re-align the project processes, we fully expect to work on similar projects with the client in the future.
Note: References available on request