IndiaCADworks Helps an U.S. Based Manufacturer Migrate their Existing Product Design files from STL to SolidWorks
Based in New Jersey, U.S., the client is a manufacturer of luxury sanitary fittings such as faucets, pipes, tubs, and other such products. With more than 30 years of industry experience, the client is an established retailer with their own branded outlets.
The client was looking for a partner who could help transition their product design files from Parasolid and STL to SolidWorks. Their existing product range consists of luxury sanitary fittings that include tubs, faucets, pipes, etc. They required a partner who could import 3D CAD files from Parasolid and STL to SolidWorks for all of their components. They needed a partner with the following expertise and skillsets:
- A team’s ability to work on SolidWorks
- Understand their unique process in quickest possible time
- Team’s ability to deliver the project within a short period of time
- Superior quality of work delivery that matches international standards
- Team’s ability to provide swift response to the client’s queries
Challenges faced by IndiaCADworks
While working on this project, the team faced the following challenges:
- To deliver error-free work to the client, it was important for the team at ICW to understand the client's unique project management process. They needed information about the part numbers of the client's designs, the material data for the products, and the exploded view desired by the client. Without this information, it was challenging for the ICW team to deliver superior quality results within the given time frame.
- To modify the designs of the client's existing product range of luxury sanitary fittings, the team at ICW needed the client's part lists (which showed a manufacturer's parts or assemblies of an end item by illustration or a numerical listing of part numbers and names) and the exploded view of the products in SolidWorks Composer. It was necessary for the team to have this information so that they could modify the designs in the best possible way.
- While working on this project, the team had to use SolidWorks Enterprise PDM to access the client's local server via VPN. They accessed SolidWorks Enterprise PDM at the client's location to modify the designs of the client's existing products. Thus, the ICW team had to set a new process flow that combined SolidWorks, SolidWorks Composer, and SolidWorks Enterprise PDM. This proved to be quite challenging for the team.
- The team had to create catalogs for the modified designs of the client's products. However, this could be accomplished only by combining SolidWorks Composer and Adobe Illustrator. Thus, our team could perform this task only by dovetailing mechanical engineering with creative design.
Solutions provided by IndiaCADworks
The project management team took the following steps to overcome the challenges they faced while working on this project:
- We offered the client a trial to test our team’s capability to deliver the project on time and meet their expected standards.
- Three full-time resources were assigned exclusively to work on this project. Two engineers were assigned for SolidWorks/SolidWorks Enterprise PDM and one for SolidWorks Composer.
- Trained back-up resources for Continuity of Business (COB) and prepared a scale-up strategy to support two more Full-time Equivalents.
- The team worked through the VPN to satisfy software compliance and other geographic specific legal issues.
- Since the client was based in the U.S., our team utilized minimal software license that could be used both in the U.S. and in India during their respective working hours. This 24 hours usage strategy proved to be quite efficient and cost-effective.
Exceptional steps taken by IndiaCADworks to meet the client’s requirements:
- An exclusive bandwidth was set up for the smooth functioning of the team so that they could deliver the project on time.
- Since the project involved working via VPN, we set up a high project security system to ensure data security.
Hardware/Software used during the course of the project
While working on this project, the ICW team at used the following software:
- SolidWorks Composer
- SolidWorks Enterprise PDM
- Adobe Illustrator
- By providing project training and preparing a scale-up strategy to support two more resources, the client established a reliable offshore operations team.
- A team of mechanical engineers who specialized in SolidWorks to work exclusively on this project at 60% of its in-house cost.
- As the team accessed to SolidWorks Enterprise PDM via VPN, round the clock proved to be an advantage for the client as our team was able to modify their designs directly on their server.
- A distinguished member of the client’s organization testified that IndiaCADworks performed exceptionally well in this project and the quality of our team’s work matched the client’s standards.
Note: References available on request