A Largest Coastal Refinery in US Achieves 50% Savings on Output Generation and Resource Management Costs, and Experiences 99.9% Accurate Cataloguing
The client is the largest coastal refinery located primarily in the eastern part of United States operating three of the largest refineries in North America.
The Business Situation:
The client required a quick turnover for listing piping instrumentation indexes in the maintenance and modification of the process and to demonstrate the physical sequences of equipment and systems.
The challenges faced during the course the action were:
- To design a cost effective solution to catalogue and list piping instrumentation indexes for several units of existing Piping and Instrumentation Diagram (P&IDs)
- To design instrumentation loop diagrams in a specified format used for construction
- To assure all fundamental safety features are considered as absolute requirements for designing P&IDs to the complete elimination of errors and pitfalls
The final solution after a careful evaluation of the business requirement was drafted considering the following elements.
- Researching the client’s projects extensively to understand the scope and nature of the work and analyzing effective means for solution
- Deploying experienced process design engineers, and instrumentation and piping engineers to interpret the existing P&IDs precisely and resolve inherent problems of P&IDs
- Issuing critical P&ID review by the project team to assure P&IDs design meets the stated requirements
- Providing a tailor-made solution by improving the output format for more than 50,000 P&ID’s and Instrumentation Loop Diagrams
The following were the outcomes of the assignment.
- 50% savings on cost of output generation and resource management
- 99.9% accurate cataloguing
Note: References available on request